The premier Pontiac club for Arkansas

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 

Death of a fuel pump! Summit 140gph

Arkansas Pontiac Association Forum Index -> The Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontova
Chief

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Death of a fuel pump! Summit 140gph

I took the Ventura to pick up my daughter at school noticing the pump was surging pretty bad. Afterwards we cruised to Belton to try and find an adapter for my truck. As we were pulling out of a salvage yard the pump started sounding like someone was grinding on the frame with a grinder! The sound was very loud and made me wonder if we could make it home! On the way home the pump would get real quiet at times then get really loud.

Has anyone experienced this type of failure before? Luckily I bought the Mallory 110 pump from Johnny so I do have a back up. Is this the "Death Rattle" of an electric pump? It is the Aeromotive style billet pump 140 gph. JD
critter
Chief

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:

My Mallory kept getting louder and louder. Yanked it and found one of the brushes in the motor in pieces and the other worn to a knub. Bought a rebuild kit and had it back in action in a day. Might be the same issue.
PonchDan
Warrior

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Man your having some luck here lately . Are you running a return line or are you running it dead headed?
Chief

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject:

[quote="PonchDan"]Man your having some luck here lately . Are you running a return line or are you running it dead headed?[/quote]

Dead headed right now. I don't have the right regulator to use a return line. I'm going to order the new fuel filter and -8 line to upgrade my fuel system this week. I'm also going to try the Mallory 110 to see how it works. Thanks for the feedback! JD
PonchDan
Warrior

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:

I think I'm gonna go to a return style reg when I switch the motor over to the '69 since it's suppose to be alot easier on the pump.
Chief

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject:

I've heard the same thing about a return line being easier on the pump. BUT wouldn't the fuel take the path of least resistance? The line back to the fuel cell would have the least resistance, so how does it affect the volume of fuel to the engine?

I thought the electric pumps had an internal bypass to avoid getting hot when installed deadheaded. Also, you would keep the fuel moving with a return line setup thus getting a cooler supply of fuel. Interesting, I may have to look into changing. JD
critter
Chief

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject:

I've run dead-head and now have a return line. One thing I can say is that fuel pressure seems to stay more consistent. My gauge used to bounce like the Easter bunny. Now it's steady at whatever PSI I set it.

The Mallory pumps have an internal bypass. Not so sure on the Holley pumps. You can also regulate pressure at the pump with the Mallory.

I've been running the return line for over a year now. I can't tell any difference other than consistent line pressure.
455ta
Young Brave

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject:

My summit 140 gph pump has been on the car for approx. 3 years dead headed and works great. I have summit regulater also and pressure gauge stays of 7 1/2 all the time.
       Arkansas Pontiac Association Forum Index -> The Shop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: