4L80e transmission swap

A place for all technical questions.
Post a reply

Re: 4L80e transmission swap

Postby critter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 pm

I had tapped into the factory harness on the first attempt. Tonight I wired it directly to the tach post on the HEI. Same results. I'll be calling again tomorrow.
critter
Chief

Postby RamAirDave » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 pm

It should be pretty straight forward. Power, signal, and ground. Might be the gauge.
69 GTO RAIII 4spd, 70 Z28 RS

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be" MCG

Driving #s/paper cars in the rain... and lovin' it punkr
RamAirDave
Chief

• Website

Postby critter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:23 pm

Yep, and that's why I'll be calling
critter
Chief

Postby critter » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:00 pm

I got a very good response from them today. Stand by a few days for the results.
critter
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 am

Chris,

I found this on youtube. I know it's not the same program, but look at the shift or tps table and see if the numbers are anything like what you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imJdP2dzYnQ
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby critter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:36 am

I'll take a look and let you know. I've not messed with it over the weekend due to a family outing and yard work. I'm trying to get all my honey do's caught up and I'm close. Maybe Tammy will give me a weekend pass soon. LOL.
critter
Chief

Postby critter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 am

Yeah, my stuff is similar to that but he's using different sofware.
critter
Chief

Postby critter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I drove it tonight.

I thought it might be slipping still but the pressure was right. The converter is just that loose. Once it stalls up it goes. The pressures are so high it's BANGING the 2-3 shift but when it does, it hunts between the 2-3 shift, much like the video Van posted.

I data logged it so I'll review. I've got to do 2 things. First is soften up the line pressure. The other is lower the shift points. The converter is another issue altogether. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it sure feels like a loose race converter.

But, for those wondering what the wheels look like, I'm still undecided:

The car will have to be lowered if the wheels and tires stay. I'd also like to see a larger aspect ratio than these.
critter
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Oh man, I'm so behind on yardwork. Let's don't go there. My neighbors hate me.
My mother did give me her old riding mower and it is way better than the one I threw a rod in.

I was supposed to be back on the GTO this month. :roll:

I'm still cruising the net. I might get lucky and find something that will help.

I like the wheels. I mean it is 2010. I like the old wheels too, but your updating the trans and going to paddle shifters, I mean why not.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby Sam I Am » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:12 pm

wheels look good.
I don't care for the current black wheels trend, or the ones with the fake bead bolts.
Sam I Am
Warrior

Postby critter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:06 am

I looked at the difference in the aspect of Tammy's 45 series and these on my car are a 35 series. I think that alone will make a tremendous difference. For now, the Rally IIs might go back on the car. No money for new tires right now.

Hopefully I'll have a new tachometer this week and I can finish putting the dash back in the car. Then I'll be able to concentrate on the shift tables and getting this thing ironed out.
critter
Chief

Postby 77TA » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Looks good IMO from my iPod view !
77TA
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:16 pm

I agree about a taller tire. Just seems like that would work better on a larger car.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby critter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:54 pm

I made some progress today.

After airing up the flat tire I realized that I should recalibrate the TCU after putting the new wheels and tires on. They are slightly shorter. While I was at it I installed that profile that TCI sent and I'd upped the line pressure by 10 percent. Then I recalibrated the TPS for good measure.

I took it for a drive and watched the pressure gauge. The pressures were more in the 120 psi range when driving now and the "shift" was firm but not harsh. I say "shift" because it would make the 1-2 shift as you'd expect. However, I never could get it to make the 2-3 shift unless I let off the gas. Then, it seemed that I needed to be above about 30mph for the 2-3 shift to kick in. I could then cruise in 3rd unless the speed dropped below that 30mph mark again.

I went into the shift point tables and tried dropping the upshift point on the table by 10 percent but it didn't seem to help any. I fiddled around with some other ideas but nothing seemed to help.

I think I'm on the verge of having this worked out if I can work through this upshift problem. I'm sure I'll need to do some minor tweaking after that but I'd sure like to get it all the way through the gears, up and and down one time!
critter
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:23 pm

critter wrote:I drove it tonight.

I thought it might be slipping still but the pressure was right. The converter is just that loose. Once it stalls up it goes. The pressures are so high it's BANGING the 2-3 shift but when it does, it hunts between the 2-3 shift, much like the video Van posted.

I data logged it so I'll review. I've got to do 2 things. First is soften up the line pressure. The other is lower the shift points. The converter is another issue altogether. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but it sure feels like a loose race converter.

But, for those wondering what the wheels look like, I'm still undecided:

The car will have to be lowered if the wheels and tires stay. I'd also like to see a larger aspect ratio than these.

Yo, Yo them wheels be pimpin :sneaky:
"Kick the tires and light the fires" :)

69Goat1
Chief

Postby critter » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:33 pm

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Now I need a big azz blower poking through the hood! boo-yah
critter
Chief

Postby RamAirDave » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:47 pm

Are you able to at least shift it manually? Or does the comp/pressures override that?
69 GTO RAIII 4spd, 70 Z28 RS

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be" MCG

Driving #s/paper cars in the rain... and lovin' it punkr
RamAirDave
Chief

• Website

Postby critter » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:21 am

Good idea. I hadn't tried manually shifting it. I was too busy watching the pressure gauge and the laptop controls. I still don't have gauges so I'm monitoring the speed and rpm off the laptop display.
critter
Chief

Postby critter » Tue May 04, 2010 7:09 pm

OK, I'm going to eat my words on TCI and their tech folks. They asked that I send them the harness and computer. Both have tested out fine. Now the tech, Russell Culver, is offering to drive it back to my house, help me re-install it and see if we can sort it out. That, my friends, is customer service.

I'd ad that I did find some slop in my TPS when I was pulling it all apart to send to TCI. I've replaced that TPS so hopefully that will help as well. Russ, like me, is puzzled by the odd datalog regarding the speed sensors. Might be we have bad sensors but more on that later.

Man, I'm learning a LOT about the 4L80e transmission. That's one good thing about all this.
critter
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Chris, as you say, that is Customer Service ! To drive to Maumelle from Ashland, MS is a little trip !

Maybe having the input of their in house "Pro" can be a help.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Return to The Shop