Russ came over and we spent the morning tuning. He couldn't figure out why the thing needed so much throttle position to achieve a shift. Then he asked me about the carb. When I said Quadrajet the light went on. The small primaries require a lot of throttle position to achieve the same amount of "go" from the car. They don't tune much for Qjets. There you go.
I drove, he worked the computer and by the end of the morning he had it shifting pretty nicely. He had to pull the shift points WAY down because of the carb and torque of the motor. Then he said we needed to run it WOT a few times just to see what we had.
I still had the pressure gauge tapped into the transmission. On the second WOT it spun until 30mph (data logs are cool) and then hooked. It started hunting between gears so he had me get out of it. When I did, the pressure spiked and WOOSH! The pressure blew that hose off the fitting that went into the transmission. AT fluid hit the exhaust and we had quite a smoke show going.
The good news was that I was out of it when it let go and we just coasted down to the foot of the hill. I don't think I really hurt anything. I called AAA and had the roll back operator dump it back in the garage. I'll crawl under there, pull the remains of that fitting and plug it now that I know we're in pretty good shape on the tune. The I'll fill it back up with fluid and go again.
it's always something.
My snail trail:
The offending gauge:
I'll have a mess to clean up under the car:
Russell Culver from TCI was still tuning on it after the incident. Thanks Russ!:
At least I had time to make a photo of the car with the new wheels and tires while I waited: