Mismatched Wheels

A place for all technical questions.
Post a reply

Re: Mismatched Wheels

Postby 69Goat1 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Vance - I run the Rally II on Punisher. I have a couple different sets I use for the rear. 1 set is 15 X 8 and I run a drag radial on them. the others are just stocker 15 x 7's with a 275/60-15 street tire. I really dig the look of a Rally II on a GTO, especially a daily driver type... When I bought Punisher it had Centerlines all the way around and first thing I did is fix up a set of RallyII's and sold the Centerlines to my cousin who runs them on his 68 GTO now... The rear where 15 X 10 and they had 3" of backspace so they really stuck out... I hate wheels that won't fit under the car, don't like jacked up cars...
"Kick the tires and light the fires" :)

69Goat1
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Wed May 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Johnny,

Thats funny about jacked up cars. My first car was a 65 Lemans with a 72 400 / muncie four speed.

It had chrome steel slots all around. There were 60s that stuck out the back. It had air shocks but nobody could ride in the back or it would get on the tires bad.

It was like driving downhill all the time and the car swayed really bad in turns. I swear looking back on it now, I could overhaul the rear end without lying under the car or you could bump your forehead on the rear bumper. I know it wasn't that bad but it seemed that way.

I got a lot of thumbs up with that car and the girls liked it. The coolness factor wore off very quick though. My mother told me to ditch the tires. I knew she was right but there is no teenager who pays for his own transport that was going to acknowledge that. I sold that car after a year. I regretted selling the car right after that. I knew my mother was right. If had just changed out the rear tires, the car would have really been a good car to drive. It would also have been quicker and easier to handle on Airport Rd during our short street races.

You know what they say: "Youth is wasted on the young ."
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby Vanmor » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 am

How does everybody feel about running Supertricks on the street ? I hear they are for racing only.

I put my newly aquired rims on craigs list and a guy wants to buy them. I asked him if he had any wheels to sell or trade. He said he had some old 15 x 4 Supertricks that were in real good shape. If this is a go I'd like to do an even swap.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby Vanmor » Sat May 15, 2010 2:17 pm

I never heard back from the guy with the Super Tricks. However, a guy named Mike bought my wheels to use on the back of his 67' Nova. They are perfect for that.

Johnny's idea of running a set of Rally II is starting to get my attention.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby Vanmor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:20 am

I must have some wheel fetish or something. There are so many other things to work on but I just can't seem to get the wheel situation out of my mind.

I saw some Rally II on Craigs list some time ago. Well they popped up again. Turns out they are right here in Marion. The good news is that he wants $20 for the set. The bad news is that they are 14s and three are very rusty.

The rust is no problem, I know how to get rid of that in a solution of water and baking soda. Then they have to be painted, masked off, and painted again. Not to mention the cost of center caps and trim rings.

If these were 15s, I wouldn't bat an eye. Then again, the car came with 14s stock and these are JJ code which means they are 7" inches wide. I imagine these are from the mid 70s.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal about 14s. Maybe it's not such a bad thing. I always ran 14" rims on my other Pontiacs and didn't even think about it.

http://memphis.craigslist.org/pts/1813902252.html
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby critter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 am

Wow! Those are rough.

I'd want to hold out for at least some 15X7 Rally IIs. As a matter of fact, I've got 2 that I need to break down and get the tires off. After that I could let you have them for a pittance. I don't need them since I have a full set of the Wheel Vintiques 15X8 setting in the corner already.

Anybody else got 2 more for him?
critter
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:59 am

That's very generous of you Chris. I would rather have 15" rims. I'd like to make up a set like the ones on Punisher.

I might be coming to Little Rock soon. I want to take Dustin to see a Pulmonologist there. If I do, I could pick up the rims as is and have the tires removed. This would save you some expense.

Those 14s are a bit rough. The guy who has them lives exactly three miles from the Mississippi River. Maybe he drug them out of the river bank ? :roll:

I'll go visit this guy anyway. He says these wheels came off of a GTO project and showed some concern that these wheels would end up on a non Pontiac car. I'm curious about what he may have as far as Pontiacs go.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby critter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:59 pm

Give me a shout with a PM or something. We can work it out.

Yeah, it's always fun to go poking around in some guys stash and see what you can find. Good luck.
critter
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Vance I have a couple more to go with Chris's...
"Kick the tires and light the fires" :)

69Goat1
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Wow, thanks Johnny ! I'll send you a PM about the wheels.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby Vanmor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Johnny,

How did you come up with 8" width rims on the back of Punisher ? I was looking at wheel codes and there were no 15" X 8" listed.

Also, what size front tire did you run ? Did they rub ?

Vance
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby 77TA » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 am

Here is one source anyway.
http://wheelvintiques.myshopify.com/products/60-1

8)
77TA
Chief

Previous