1979 TA with a 455??

A place for all technical questions.
Post a reply

1979 TA with a 455??

Postby ryno_rx8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:29 pm

Hey guys I am new to the forum and the Pontiac world and was told by a few guys on that this is the place to have all my questions answered lol. I have been on the search for a 1975-1979 TA for a little while now, not to hard looking but looking none the less. I am in search of a car that needs work. Just something to do in my spare time. I happened to find a 79 in Hot springs for little money and had a question. The gentleman says it is a 79 with the 455 in it. In my research i didn't notice anything older than like a 73-75 with a 455 in it. Hey did state that the car was special ordered WS6 with the disc brakes and such. What are the chances that this is an original car and also, when i go look at it, where can i get the numbers of the vehicle to find out for sure what was original and such?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the person selling it seemed to know a great deal about the TA's as he had 5 of them.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryno_rx8

Re: 1979 TA with a 455??

Postby critter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:52 pm

Well, if he's trying to pass it off as an original car he knows less than he thinks.

1976 was the last year of 455 motors. It will bolt right into a 79 model but it's not original. Did he say if it was a 455 Pontiac or a 455 Oldsmobile? In 1979 many cars came with the Olds 403 motor so someone might have dropped in an Olds 455.

Start by getting the VIN number, on the dash, visible through the windshield on the driver's side. Below it on the cowl you'll find the data plate that has a whole bunch of codes you can break down on how the car was built. If he happens to have a build sheet get a copy but I'd be amazed if he does. Those are usually stuffed under the back seat of the cars as they come down the assembly line.

You can also pay Pontiac Historical Service and they'll use your VIN to pull the factory build sheet. Pontiac is unique in that Jim Mattison saved all those records and can provide that information. I'm not sure what it costs these days. It was about $25 when I did it years ago.

I'll see if I can find some links on engine and head code locations to make explaining that easier. Stand by.
critter
Chief

Postby critter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm

http://wallaceracing.com/enginesearch4.htm

http://wallaceracing.com/headsearch.htm

Scroll to the bottom of these pages for some reading regarding codes. John's site is also a good place to do searches based on the codes you retrieve in order to decipher all this.
critter
Chief

Postby ryno_rx8 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Awesome Critter thanks, i am not sure about the OLDS or Pontiac engine. for all i knwo he might know nothing of the car and it might be the 403. I'm pretty familiar with engine codes on newer models as i work for NAPA but not too familiar with the older cars. I am going to get the VIN but was also curious as to the other placard with the option codes. But now i know since you gave me the location. I'll get more info and questions as i go.
ryno_rx8

Postby critter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Take a lot of pictures, host them on Photobucket or another service like that and then use the links to post them here. That will help all of us help you.
critter
Chief

Post a reply

Return to The Shop