Sway bar bracket bolts stripped

A place for all technical questions.
Post a reply

Sway bar bracket bolts stripped

Postby critter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Here's a what would you do question for the group.

I made great progress on the suspension this morning. The high today is only supposed to be 95 instead of the 105 we've been seeing so it felt almost like fall outside to me. :)

However...

Imagine my surprise as I was attempting to torque down the first sway bar bracket to frame bolt to the 25 lb. ft. the service manual calls for and that bolt stripped right out. When it did the other bolt decided it wasn't happy being in its wallowed out hole either and that 1.25 inch sway bar developed a sudden magnetic attraction to my head. Luckily it didn't hit any vital organs and I'm sure this knot will got down in a week or two.

I went to the other side and, sure enough, that metal is about stripped out as well. With the bar removed I stuck a bolt in each hole and tried to pull to 25 lb. ft. The bolts just spin. So they all need repair.

I see 2 options. I weld the holes in the frame, re-drill and tap or I can weld nuts to the bottom of the frame. The latter would certainly be an easier fix. What would you do?
critter
Chief

Re: Sway bar bracket bolts stripped

Postby RamAirDave » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:40 pm

Another option could be to drill/tap to the next bolt size up?
69 GTO RAIII 4spd, 70 Z28 RS

"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be" MCG

Driving #s/paper cars in the rain... and lovin' it punkr
RamAirDave
Chief

• Website

Re: Sway bar bracket bolts stripped

Postby critter » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Great minds, Dave. I went to the hardware store and picked up the items for that process already. I'll do it in the morning.
critter
Chief

Post a reply

Return to The Shop