Edelbrock Carbs

A place for all technical questions.
Post a reply

Edelbrock Carbs

Postby Vanmor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:26 pm

What do you folks think about Edelbrock carbs ? I have been on the internet and there seems to be the typical love/hate thing just like Hollys.

My neighbor is getting some heads and an Edelbrock comes with the deal. He says it's new in the box and we are talking cheap. I mean cheap cheap. Something even I can afford. I think it's a 600 or 650cfm. Plenty for a 325 to 350 hp 400.

I have three Q-jets and one Holly double pumper. The Edelbrock now gives me three different carb choices.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Re: Edelbrock Carbs

Postby critter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm not a fan of them. I don't know of many who've managed to make them idle consistently and run well. I had one on a 67 Camaro (ducking) and I never did get that sucker to work well. It was brand new, bought it from Summit IIRC.
critter
Chief

Postby Scuba Steve » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:40 pm

I love the "Carter" based carbs. I had one on a wagon 455 in my old '67 Firebird. The Q-jet would bogg when the secondaries opened. The 600 carb was a perfect fix for that "mild" engine.
Scuba Steve
Papoose

Postby Vanmor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:10 pm

LOL ! See ! It's always been like this with carbs.

We're talking about like $50 to $75 on this carb. My step brother runs one on his Cuda and a local Butler powered 67 GTO has one on it.

I've always wanted to run a Holly though. In the past, I would pick one up at a reasonable price. But by the time I got ready to use it, somebody would make me a trade or offer I couldn't refuse.

My stepdad told me he hates Hollys. He loves Q-jets.

The most carbs I have had success with is the Rochester 2 Jet (ran two on a Corvair) or the two and four barrel Ford Autolite carbs from the 60s. I noticed the Ford carbs are a LOT like Hollys. I don't see why I couldn't get my Holly to do well.

Thanks for the input guys. Just trying to decide which carb to rebuild. The price on the E-carb made me think about it.
Last edited by Vanmor on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby caramaro » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04 pm

I've had edelbrocks for 20 years.never had any issues that wasn't my fault.If you want dependibilty get a edelbrock.If you want to constantly tinker with one get a Holley.I will never,ever own a Holley ever again.They are crap.I've been broke down too many times with them. They are only good for the track or a anchor.another decent one is a oem quadrajet if done right. i know a guy with a shop in little rock that can build one with his eyes closed and will run forever.Speed Demons suck as well. Just my 2 cents,yo...i'm speaking from experience
RIP 2002 COLLECTORS EDITION TRANS AM,may your screaming chickens fly far above...
caramaro
Warrior

Postby Unclesams_G8 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:59 pm

I put a edlebrock carb on my 68 K10............that thing ran like crap and drank gas like crazy. I put my quadra-junk back on and it was so much better. I have not had any dealings w/ holleys, but if I went back to a carb I personally would use a quadra- jet.

I do love mpg's of the tiny primaries, and the sound when the big ole secondaries are opening up. punkr
2009 Pontiac G8 GT / 1986 Mustang SVO / 2005 Ford F-350
Unclesams_G8
Young Brave

Postby Vanmor » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 am

cara,
I downloaded the manual for the E-carb today. It was pretty explanatory. The only thing I didn't like was what they had to say about using it with a "large cam". Mostly idling it up and such. This tells me that the E-carb is made for milder engines with relatively tame camshafts. The local guys here run them and they seem to work well. The only issue seems to be on the WOT higher rpm range where it seems to lose a bit of power. I've heard complaints about that.

uncle sam,
I looked around and found that the rebuild kit for a Q-jet is about $27 for a HP kit. I bought my stepdad Cliff Ruggle's book for Christmas a couple of years ago. I was thinking of borrowing it and study up on the Q-jet. When I was a kid, we called them Quadrabogs. Then one day I ordered a catalog from H.O. Specialties and they explained the virtues of the Q-jet.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Postby caramaro » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:07 pm

yeah with dependibilty comes the rob of horsepower.depends on what you like.i have a pretty mild cam in my 69 camaro and never a single issue with the edelbrock.its been on the car close to 10 years with NO adjustment whatsoever.i have driven this car to branson,gulf coast etc and never a problem. i wouldn't hesitate driving it anywhere with NO carb problems. the gas mileage is also great.
RIP 2002 COLLECTORS EDITION TRANS AM,may your screaming chickens fly far above...
caramaro
Warrior

Postby critter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 pm

The Edelbrock was an imitation of the Rochester Quadrajet. Just saying that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? boo-yah
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I had an 850 Speed Demon that was great on my big cam but I've heard from a bunch who've had trouble with them.
critter
Chief

Postby raybs » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:39 pm

Edelbrock's bread and butter carb is based on the old Carter 4bbl that was original equipment on 66 and older Ponchos. Edelbrock does make a Rochester 850 cmf quadrajet (Chevy style unfortunately), which is what I have on my 65. I have had good and bad luck with Holley carbs, and not-so-good luck with a newer Carter 750. Any of them can work, but they don't always do it easily. I personally like the road manners of my quadrajet and have had pretty good luck with them when set up well - I have gotten 23 mpg and regularly get 16-18mpg highway. I did have one Holley (700 DP) that was perfectly matched to my car (which was a 68 GTO), but I also had one that was a leaky mess. Done right, it's hard to beat the looks and performance of a Holley (or Holley style like the Demon), though mileage isn't their forte'.

I've been tempted to go the dual quad (Edelbrock) route just for the bling, but it would likely kill my gas mileage and drivability and not give me much, if any, performance advantage over the Quadrajet & RPM manifold.

$0.02.
65 GTO, 2000 GP GTX, 2009 G8 GXP, and C-130 Pilot!
raybs
Chief

Postby critter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Un-uh! NO dual quads on your car. It's perfect. Leave it alone!
critter
Chief

Postby Vanmor » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 am

My neighbor Wes told me to come and get the carb. This is what it is.....

(Reconditioned) 600cfm with Electric Choke
CALIBRATED FOR FUEL ECONOMY
Designed for small-block and small displacement big-block engines, these carbs are recommended only for stock to Performer level applications. They are not recommended for use on RPM or Torker II intake manifolds. Match with an Edelbrock Performer or Performer EPS manifold and other brands of similar design. Calibrated 2% leaner than #1405. Includes both timed and full vacuum ports for ignition advance. Comes with: Metering Jets Primary .098, Secondary .095; Metering Rods .075 x .047; Step-Up Spring yellow (4" Hg). Like all genuine Edelbrock carburetors, these are Made in USA.

Edelbrock reconditioned carburetors are like-new cores that are meticulously disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with all new components and proper calibration. Limited supplies of these quality reconditioned carbs are available while supplies last. Includes 30 day factory warranty.

I bet this is why some people have trouble with them. Some peole don't read ! They see 600 or 650 cfm and say let's go.

I noticed the secondaries are bigger than the primaries, but not by much. I think this is why they don't produce big power on big engines. There's just not enough there.

Ray, your right about the Carter being on some of the earlier GTOs. I think you had a choice of Carter, Rochester four barrel (non Q-jet), or Tri-Power.

This E-carb is missing it's electric choke. I hate that because they cost about $70 for a replacement kit. Makes a free carb not as free !

I think these can be good carburetors for stock to mild set ups. Which is what they were designed for anyway.
Vance
Vanmor
Warrior

Post a reply

Return to The Shop