Spring "Club Raaaa I mean Track Day" ?

This forum is now open to the public. All registered members can respond to posts made by the officers regarding upcoming club events.
Post a reply

Spring "Club Raaaa I mean Track Day" ?

Postby Pontova » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Just curious, is there a Spring track day in the works? At Centerville naturally... JD

Pontova
Chief

Re: Spring "Club Raaaa I mean Track Day" ?

Postby critter » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Not that I'm aware of. We moved the show to March 21 to allow us breathing room on the Fall Street Machine Nationals to be held in LR this year. We might have a track day but I bet it will be a last minute deal if we do it at all.

The gig over in Tulsa in the spring sure seems like a great race to get involved in. Of course I'll be heading off to NFME about that same time so I'm still not sure if I can make that one. NFME is in Indianapolis this year so it's going to be hard for me to do both but I'm still hoping I can do it.
critter
Chief

Postby raybs » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm

I'd like to make it to the track too. Tulsa would be cool, but since we're going to Dayton, I doubt that I can do Tulsa as well. Maybe we can get something going for April.
65 GTO, 2000 GP GTX, 2009 G8 GXP, and C-130 Pilot!
raybs
Chief

Postby Pontova » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 pm

raybs wrote:I'd like to make it to the track too. Tulsa would be cool, but since we're going to Dayton, I doubt that I can do Tulsa as well. Maybe we can get something going for April.

Hmmm, April is my birth month I might be able to work the angle!!! :hurray:I'd also have to work the time off out. Thanks! JD

Pontova
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:57 pm

I know it is tough but if any of you guys can make the deal at Tulsa May 9th you really should to keep it from going away - it's the closest best Pontiac race going and to let it go the way of the Southern Nats won't be a good deal...

I can make Centerville too...
"Kick the tires and light the fires" :)

69Goat1
Chief

Postby critter » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:54 pm

I know Larry and the Tulsa club have put a lot into it. I will be trying my best to support them.
critter
Chief

Postby Pontova » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:51 pm

69Goat1 wrote:I know it is tough but if any of you guys can make the deal at Tulsa May 9th you really should to keep it from going away - it's the closest best Pontiac race going and to let it go the way of the Southern Nats won't be a good deal...

I forgot all about the Tulsa race! My concern is the atmosphere of the race, I just don't care for the super crowded rush some of the bigger events have. Especially when they run out of pit space and limit everyone to one/single time trial. How was the flow and attendance last year?

I would NOT be able to attend both it would be Centerville or Tulsa. If enough of you guys can make Tulsa it will way heavy into my motivation to attend. JD

Pontova
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Pontova wrote:
69Goat1 wrote:I know it is tough but if any of you guys can make the deal at Tulsa May 9th you really should to keep it from going away - it's the closest best Pontiac race going and to let it go the way of the Southern Nats won't be a good deal...

I forgot all about the Tulsa race! My concern is the atmosphere of the race, I just don't care for the super crowded rush some of the bigger events have. Especially when they run out of pit space and limit everyone to one/single time trial. How was the flow and attendance last year?

I would NOT be able to attend both it would be Centerville or Tulsa. If enough of you guys can make Tulsa it will way heavy into my motivation to attend. JD

The club that put it on wanted LOTS of passes so open time trials for 2 hours, then they called classes for the 2 guaranteed time trials - it is all Pontiacs so no sharing a race with everyone else like gets done all too often - if you are quick enough you can run in quick 16 and AFX for 1 price, Vendors, car show, etc...

69Goat1
Chief

Postby critter » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:08 pm

JD, it's only the second year for this event in Tulsa so I'd bet the attendance will still be low next year. Of course the weather hindered them last year to a large degree. Regardless, low attendance usually means LOTS of passes. The only time I've attended an event where the car count held down the passes was when I went to Norwalk and a couple of the Southern Nationals when they were going strong. Both of those had 100s of cars to race, not the 50 or so that you will probably see at the Tulsa gig. In the future that could easily change as the event grows in stature.
critter
Chief

Postby Pontova » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:01 pm

69Goat1 wrote:
Pontova wrote:

The club that put it on wanted LOTS of passes so open time trials for 2 hours, then they called classes for the 2 guaranteed time trials - it is all Pontiacs so no sharing a race with everyone else like gets done all too often - if you are quick enough you can run in quick 16 and AFX for 1 price, Vendors, car show, etc...

critter wrote:JD, it's only the second year for this event in Tulsa so I'd bet the attendance will still be low next year. Of course the weather hindered them last year to a large degree. Regardless, low attendance usually means LOTS of passes. The only time I've attended an event where the car count held down the passes was when I went to Norwalk and a couple of the Southern Nationals when they were going strong. Both of those had 100s of cars to race, not the 50 or so that you will probably see at the Tulsa gig. In the future that could easily change as the event grows in stature.

Thanks for the feedback, it doesn't sound like a bad deal. I'll start the scheming to see if I can get there. Thanks again! JD

Pontova
Chief

Postby 77TA » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:56 pm

I will be stuck at work as usual in May due to the annual outage so Tulsa and the NFME is out for me.
Spring is tough for me car wise anymore. The boys are in full swing with baseball and I dearly love watching them play.
77TA
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:28 am

Just got back from C-ville a little bit ago... New Years Bracket Bash - 89 cars in No-E and that doesn't count Super pro, ET Bike, or Juniors :shock:Paul M. and I were the only 2 Pontiacs there... I went out quick so we could go eat :wink:Made for a long day - up at 4 AM and left by 5:15 but it was a hoot...

BTW - I love the fact that you Arkies still have 93 over there - The GTO ended up running on it since Steves truck messed up and he wasn't able to bring me any fuel - take 5 degrees of timing out, shift at 5500 and all is good boo-yah

Chris - Spoke with Marty there... he is still trying to talk me into some kind of volkswagon radiator since "water weighs 8 lbs per gallon!"

69Goat1
Chief

Postby critter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 am

Sounds like you had fun. Watch out for Marty. That guy will have you trying all kinds of crazy stuff for an extra .0001. :frogwink:
critter
Chief

Postby Pontova » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:56 pm

CRAP, the promoters of the Tulsa race have cut my chances of coming to the race by 50%!!!! Has anyone noticed that May 9th is also "Mothers Day" weekend? Why would anyone be so unaware while scheduling the date? I requested the time off from work today so they have plenty of notice. Depending on my surgery and financial situation I will try my best to be there. The wife wasn't thrilled with the idea but you know how that goes. JD

Pontova
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Pontova wrote:CRAP, the promoters of the Tulsa race have cut my chances of coming to the race by 50%!!!! Has anyone noticed that May 9th is also "Mothers Day" weekend? Why would anyone be so unaware while scheduling the date? I requested the time off from work today so they have plenty of notice. Depending on my surgery and financial situation I will try my best to be there. The wife wasn't thrilled with the idea but you know how that goes. JD

Mom can come watch if she wants too... :frogwink:

69Goat1
Chief

Postby Pontova » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 pm

69Goat1 wrote:
Pontova wrote:CRAP, the promoters of the Tulsa race have cut my chances of coming to the race by 50%!!!! Has anyone noticed that May 9th is also "Mothers Day" weekend? Why would anyone be so unaware while scheduling the date? I requested the time off from work today so they have plenty of notice. Depending on my surgery and financial situation I will try my best to be there. The wife wasn't thrilled with the idea but you know how that goes. JD

Mom can come watch if she wants too... :frogwink:

I tried to sell her on the "Road Trip" as a fun experience!!! No luck, she shot me down like a WWII fighter plane. confused2:wilting:!:I did however get tenative approval to go as long as I'm recovered from my surgery & I didn't lose my job from the time off work. I will be required to "Make it up" to her though either before or after! :shock:Since I missed the first year of the race I am determined to try my best to be there! On a positive note, my manager seemed ssupportive of the idea! JD

Pontova
Chief

Postby raybs » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:37 pm

We'll try to figure something out for a track day at Centerville within a month or so, but the Tulsa event is definitely a much better event to go to if you have to make a choice. I've been to the Sikeston race and it was cool, though lightly attended two years ago.
65 GTO, 2000 GP GTX, 2009 G8 GXP, and C-130 Pilot!
raybs
Chief

Postby 69Goat1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:44 pm

raybs wrote:We'll try to figure something out for a track day at Centerville within a month or so, but the Tulsa event is definitely a much better event to go to if you have to make a choice. I've been to the Sikeston race and it was cool, though lightly attended two years ago.

I am about to go stir crazy :dizzy:Last weekend at C-ville lit a fire in me and now March is just too far away "brickwall"

Good thing I have my projects around here. Punishers engine going together next weekend boo-yahFinally got that 3.23 rear out of my wrecked TA and getting ready to put it leaf springs and all into my 77. Posi carrier off being rebuilt for Punisher...

Tomorrow I am going treasure hunting - I will let you guys know how it go's :wacky:

69Goat1
Chief

Post a reply

Return to Club Announcements